Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel13 - 'Colour Me Red' (Keith Scully mix)
Listened to you v2 mix. (In general, it's best not to delete previous mix versions from the thread, though, so that we can all still learn by comments relating to them, and see how your mix has developed in response to them.) This mix presents an extremely cohesive vision -- the sense of blend is excellent, and you've achieved it without sacrificing too much attitude or the generally fairly upfront sound. I love the fact that almost everything sounds like it's 'of a piece' aesthetically, and that you've not spared the compression, but at the same time you've maintained enough internal dynamics to keep things exciting.

In general, I think your overall tonality would have benefitted from more low end on the bass guitar (in common with many of the other mixes in this sub-forum) but otherwise I like the slightly middly guitars tone, because of the bluesy quality it emphasises. That said, the difficulty this creates for you is that it masks the lead vocal strongly in the region, so you've had to rely heavily on the singer's high end for audibility, leaving the vocal tone feeling a touch wispy and lacking solidity. I think I'd try to give the vocal a bit more midrange so that it feels more solid, and then duck the guitars as necessary when he's singing to avoid too much of a midrange build-up. I suspect it might also help to dip a bit of midrange out of the drums, which don't need to be quite as upfront in that range, I reckon.

Overall, though, I like your balancing in general. Perhaps the Mid-section clean guitars could have a little less low midrange, as they make the rest of the mix begin to sound a bit 'terrier in a tin' there -- it's not a huge thing, but worth doing I think. Great idea with the distortion on the Outro 1 vocal! The backing vocals are pretty cool too: just on the verge of being too loud, but maybe it's just the consonants that are over-prominent to me. Maybe just de-ess them a bit more?

All things considered, I like this version a lot. A no-nonsense, powerful groove with a coherent and convincing identity. Great work! Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Diesel13 - 'Colour Me Red' (Keith Scully mix) - by Mike Senior - 21-11-2016, 08:48 PM