Poll: Did you like my mix?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston
Comments are greatly appreciated.
I found the intro to be a little jarring- it sounded as if the second stab chord from the acoustic guitar was a bad edit because it stopped so abruptly. So I copied and pasted the first stab chord over the second.
I also muted the drums over the intro, but added a double cymbal crash (using the overdubbed cymbal tracks) to lead into the full band section.
For vocal processing I used a Haas delay 9ms left and 15 ms right (learned from a Bobby Owsinski online course), and very small amount of slapback delay, plate reverb, and Lo-Fi distortion.
I used a small amount of Lo-Fi distortion on the drum buss too, in order to add some energy.
Mixed in Pro Tools HD 12.6.

11-6-16 Update:
I made changes based on the feedback given here (thanks guys!) and have posted mix 1.1.
The following are the changes made:
Decreased lead vocal by 3 db.
Added a small amount of Abbey Road Reel ADT to the lead vocal to give it more stereo imaging.
Added a telephone effect to the lead vocal during the outro where the e gtr distortion is happening.
Changed EQ on the BVs to cut bass and add air.
Used 1176 on the descending electric guitar in the B sections and decreased its volume- so it did not stick out so much.
Added some plate reverb to the acoustic guitar.
Increased the volume of the banjo.
Muted the first cymbal crash, which I had added in the mix 1.0. The drums now start on beat 1.
Aligned the kick and snare to be in the center and not towards the left.
I used beat detective to tighten up the rhodes part (did this in mix 1.0 too, just forgot to mention it with the initial post).

Any comments on mix 1.1 are greatly appreciated!

Thanks to Mike Senior for agreeing the give feedback on my mix as a Patreon benefit. I look forward to your comments. Please use the latest edition of my mix for the critique. Thanks!

Mix 1.2 Update (11-25-16):
Thanks to Mike Senior for the helpful comments on mix 1.1!
I have made the changes to mix 1.2 based on those comments.
Please use this latest mix 1.2 for the contest.
I put a limiter on the aux track for the acoustic guitars and banjos so the transients didn't stick out so much.
I added more harmonic distortion to the electric guitars in the B sections so they fit the style better. I also decreased the low mid eq on these guitars.
I tried to make the lead vocal less lo-fi, but still fit the style of the song. I took off the micro delay effect and increased its volume.
For the background vocals, I added an 1176 behind the LA-2A already present to catch more of the transients sticking out. I also added a desser to tame the Sh sounds.
I increased the levels on the bass guitar and kick drum to beef up the low end of the mix.
I also decreased the volume level of the opening cymbal hit.
Thanks to everyone who has left comments.

.mp3    Colour Me Red Mix 1.0 John Fueston.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

.mp3    Colour Me Red Mix 1.1 John Fueston.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

.mp3    Colour Me Red Mix 1.2 John Fueston.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston - by johnfueston - 05-11-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston - by Roy - 05-11-2016, 03:35 PM
RE: Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston - by Obelix - 06-11-2016, 11:24 AM
RE: Color Me Red Mix by John Fueston - by thedon - 20-11-2016, 02:07 AM