Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
colour me red
I listened to your '115' version, and I like a lot of your balance decisions in general here. It's a gutsy vision you've gone for, which is no bad thing with a song that has such a combative attitude as this one. I like that you've kept the vocal solidly upfront, as befits his importance to the track, and that the backing vocals are a good step behind him when they arrive. The blend between the drums and the electric guitars is good too, and gives a respectable 'band playing together' illusion.

As with a lot of the mixes in this subforum, I think the kick-drum's sub-100Hz contribution is stronger than it need be, and that the guitar texture would feel more powerful and full-range if you enhanced the bass guitar's fundamental frequencies in that spectral zone instead. I suspect you may possibly not be able to hear well enough what's going on sub-50Hz in your room, because the kick's putting out a lot of energy down there, and more than I'd really advise -- you may find it does funny things to your mix in some end-user playback situations. Certainly, the subjective impression of kick-drum level in your mix via full-range monitors is very different to the impression via smaller speakers, which is rarely a good idea as far as mainstream mix-translation is concerned. Other than that, though, the overall mix tonality seemed fairly balanced -- although perhaps a fraction over-scooped in the 300Hz region?

Although this is definitely an electrics-biased guitar balance, the acoustic elements actually blend better than I've heard on a lot of other mixes, primarily because the transients and high-end don't seem overemphasised. (I actually wonder whether some people are adding high end to these acoustic guitar parts almost as a reflex, but that's only surmise on my part.) That fast tremolo effect on the ElecGtr03 part in the Mid-sections is very cool -- I like that a lot, as it's almost a little hook in its own right. Not sure about the vocal effects there, though. While I'm totally in agreement that a change in vocal effects can usefully help differentiate that section, and I can also hear the retro kind of idea you have in mind, in practice I think the effect's got too much low midrange, so it gives a rather muddy-sounding frequency build-up that doesn't seem to fit with the clarity of most of the rest of the mix. That said, I love what it does with the "hah" at 2:09, because this gives a great sense of him shouting 'off mic', so to speak, and adds to the sense of live performance for me.

Overall I like your use of more 'techical' mix effects too, and this is clearly part of the well-blended character of what you've done. A couple of small queries with respect to the front-back perspective, though. Firstly, could the ElecGtr04 part have something to glue it in a bit better during Outro 1? It certainly makes a statement by being so dry, but somehow it also seems to undermine the acoustic illusion you've been developing up to that point. And, secondly, are the cymbals a touch too bright? They feel like they're maybe a bit too far forward at points. Besides, if you clear a little of the high end out of the cymbals, you'll be able to get a bit more detail into the electric guitars, for example.

Thanks for uploading your version, and I hope some of the above is useful!

Messages In This Thread
colour me red - by coldvodka - 03-11-2016, 10:48 PM
RE: colour me red - by Roy - 03-11-2016, 11:50 PM
RE: colour me red - by coldvodka - 04-11-2016, 04:53 AM
RE: colour me red - by coldvodka - 06-11-2016, 05:55 PM
RE: colour me red - by IRONWORK - 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM
RE: colour me red - by coldvodka - 24-11-2016, 12:23 PM
RE: colour me red - by Mike Senior - 24-11-2016, 01:43 PM
RE: colour me red - by coldvodka - 27-11-2016, 10:24 AM