Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncle Dad - Who I Am (Update V4!)
Hiya;

See my edit, above, for what I did with the song. I'm HOPING I'm starting to find a happy medium at least, haha! Biggest problem is that I didn't remove enough of the low-end frequencies and they were all competing with the bass, among other issues.

My ears are tired by now so I'm gonna TRY and leave it till next week to do any more edits (preferably in studio).

Thanks again for your feedback!

Cheers,
Chantelle Smile

(04-11-2016, 07:34 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Ok. I took both versions and threw them in Logic to swap back and forth. I definitely think your first instincts about the mix were right and the first version is better. It fits the tone of the song. I know, I'm a jerk. Maybe it was too late in the day for listening.

So Version 1:
I like the vocal with more body and in retrospect the vocal should be the most important thing and to just fit the bass around it. I'd still consider filtering some of the very lows of the vocal but keep it big. I think the bass and vocal might share a certain low mid space that can be notched out of the bass so there isn't a build up when they both hit the same frequencies.

Version 2:
This version does move a little more. The drums are more present but still tastefully back. I like the fiddle being more centered. I still think it can pop out as a lead part when the melody plays. On both versions the guitar on the right has a high end ring that could be cut and it'll free up some room especially during the melody sections.

Bass feels a little better.
Less room makes sense.
Is there a banjo on the right? I think it might work better on the left opposite of the right side guitar that plays the melody.

I dunno. Both versions sound pretty good. I keep going back and forth between both versions. Both are great. Version one just supports the song better. The melody sticks out more. The instruments are more dynamic. It's more old school but that it's a bad thing. I think if you can go back and tweak the original version that would be the best option.

I'm overthinking and ranting on. Sorry if I'm confusing things more.

Lastly, what are you using on the lead vocal? Just curious.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uncle Dad - Who I Am (Update V3!) - by Roy - 06-11-2016, 02:14 AM