Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Red - Nate
Listened to the version-four mix. Lovely meaty kick-drum sound, but it does seem to overpower the rest of the mix a bit. For me this isn't just a balance issue, though, because the kick takes the back-beat during the verses and seems to slightly imbalance the groove there as a result. To be fair, the snare is also nice and strong, although the toms feel then very underpowered by comparison, and the kit as a whole also sounds more hip-hop than it does roots/rock. Were the rest of the production also in line with a more programmed perspective, I reckon you'd get away with it, but as it is the comparatively conventional guitar and vocal sounds make it less convincing as a vision for me.

The bass guitar has a nice muscley sound -- not too wiry, but with plenty of note definition so that we can really appreciate the details of Joe's performance. As with many mixes on this sub-forum, the low end of the bass feels a bit underplayed, but if you were going to add much low end to it you might have to rein in the low end of the kick to avoid your overall LF levels getting out of control. The guitar sounds are appealing in a general sense, and the acoustic guitar/banjo pick noise is well handled to avoid those instruments poking out of the balance too much. Overall, though, the combination of bass and guitars is giving you too much low midrange, I think, so some careful dips in that region across those parts (or even across a buss of them all) might bring some benefits there.

I'd personally bring the lead vocals up a good decibel or so, and also add something to make them sound a little less starkly separated. I like the idea of upfront vocals, but I think you could still add some width and/or a hint of some kind of acoustic without distancing them unduly, and that way they'd seem to belong better with the guitars/drums, I reckon. Just something like a hint of stereo slapback would do the trick, I'd have thought.

The same issue about effects applies to the backing vocals too, although there I'd probably bring them a little down in level overall. Also, it seems a bit odd that the backing vocals move over to the left for the Outro, and then hop over to the right again for the penultimate phrase, returning for the final phrase. Pan stunts are all well and good, but this one just seems a bit random -- not mad enough to be a feature, yet not quite logical either somehow. A lot of listeners seem to be sharing earbuds these days, though, so maybe it doesn't matter... Wink

Thanks for delivering another distinct vision -- there's some serious punch and attitude here!

Messages In This Thread
Colour Me Red - Nate - by nate - 02-11-2016, 02:24 PM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by Mandubien - 02-11-2016, 02:59 PM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by nate - 02-11-2016, 03:06 PM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by nate - 02-11-2016, 03:45 PM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by joelonsdale - 03-11-2016, 12:19 PM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by nate - 03-11-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by Mandubien - 04-11-2016, 12:40 PM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by nate - 04-11-2016, 01:41 PM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by nate - 08-11-2016, 04:20 PM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by HbGuitar - 11-11-2016, 05:14 AM
RE: Colour Me Red - Nate - by nate - 11-11-2016, 05:41 AM