Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
First mix on my new interface!
The other day I bought myself a new audio interface as my Mbox Mini that I've been working with is starting to show it's limitations (the single mic pre is pretty lack lustre, the converter inside isn't the greatest, and I'm not in school anymore so Running Pro Tools 8 isn't my main concern anymore Tongue). So I made the decision of getting a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and am really loving this thing! This is a test mix I made just to see what I could do with some of the scarlett plugins and other plugins I have on my computer,

The mixbuss only has my usual Waves SSL Compressor on it but it was put on at the last minute of mixing, and the drums are pretty much what I used on my Devil Words mix.

For this mix automation was my main tone shaper, especially on the vocals. When I had the vocals sitting where I wanted them I used 2 compressors, Waves CLA 76 doing the more heavy lifting, and the stock Reaper Compressor to smooth things out a touch. After compression came a Highpass at 150 Hz and a parametric cut at 800 Hz. I used some De-essing to keep the vocal from getting too harsh. Some mono delay and reverb were used for some space.

The guitars are automated to fit with the vocals and just have a High and Low pass on them to clean them up a bit.

Bass was literally just run through Nick Crow Tube Driver for some growl.

On the Snare I used 2 reverbs: My usual R Verb Plate, and a gated reverb made from the Scarlett Reverb and Gate. These two verbs seem to work well with each other and suited this style fairly well. The toms just have the gated verb.

In mastering I was a bit more liberal in processing, the top end was brightened and some compression and limiting brought it up to K14.

Overall there's still some work to do on the mix, the automation I think could be more refined and the master came out brighter than I was expecting, but overall it seems half decent so far, Please leave your comments and critiques below and enjoy!

.mp3    One Minute Smile Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 3.77 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
First mix on my new interface! - by dcp10200 - 04-07-2016, 05:18 AM
RE: First mix on my new interface! - by Cudjoe - 06-07-2016, 04:12 AM
One Minute Smile 2017 Remix - by dcp10200 - 06-02-2017, 03:00 PM
RE: First mix on my new interface! - by ALX - 21-04-2017, 05:23 PM
RE: First mix on my new interface! - by Roy - 22-04-2017, 02:36 AM