Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp
So after listening to my old mix and master of this track I wasn't really happy with it. The drums didn't have the punch I was looking for in the mix and the guitar tones were really honky and brittle. This mix I feel undoes the problems I had with my old mix, the guitars have a meatier, more aggressive sound to them and the drums are sampled so they have more attack and bite.

There's no reverb on the vocals, just a ping pong delay set to 25 milliseconds with no feedback to add width to them. The drums have a very small 700 millisecond decay plate reverb mixed in subtly to liven them up and the guitars have a similar setup to the vocals with an added small verb patched after the delay with a 45% mix so they sound fatter.

I used a new amp sim called Ultra 530 by Mercuriall Audio which I found out about a couple of days ago. I only have the free version at this point which only allows you to adjust the overall volume of the amp, switch between 2 gain sounds and a clean tone, and adjust the mic placement on the virtual cab. Fortunately the amp sim actually gets some great tones even with those small set of tweak-able modules (there is loads of eq possibilities in the mic placement section alone) and you have independent control over input and output gain. The guitars have just a little bit of subtractive eq just to remove some fizz at the top end, other than, the guitar sound is just the plugin.

The bass was split into 2 tracks, one low passed at 500 Hz and the other High Passed at 500 Hz. The low passed track was compressed and left clean and the high passed track was ran through a different guitar amp sim to add some grind to it and blended with the low passed track to taste. Both tracks were then compressed by an 1176 emulation to glue them together and to remove any fluctuations on volume.

The vocals got some aggressive compression, limiting, and soft clipping to make them more aggressive and exaggerate the rasp in them. I eq'ed out some unwanted mud and harshness from them before they hit any compression as to not boost any unwanted crap in them.

Mastering was some eq balancing and final compression and limiting to bring it up to level

Please leave your comments and critiques, and enjoy.

Update: New mix with a blend of the original guitar amp tone and my reamp tone. The original amp tones here actually helped me get a more aggressive Low mid driven tone. The vocals are driven harder into the soft clipper I was using on them and pushed up abit in the mix.

.mp3    Ill Fate Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 3.11 MB)

.mp3    Ill Fate Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.1 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 16-03-2016, 04:54 AM
RE: Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by Blitzzz - 16-03-2016, 01:28 PM
RE: Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 16-03-2016, 03:03 PM
RE: Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by Blitzzz - 16-03-2016, 04:06 PM
RE: Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 16-03-2016, 07:02 PM
RE: Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 16-03-2016, 08:12 PM
RE: Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 10-10-2016, 12:31 AM
Wow - this is heavy as fuck =) - by Blitzzz - 02-11-2016, 11:42 AM
RE: Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 03-11-2016, 03:56 AM
RE: Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by jeffd42 - 03-11-2016, 04:06 AM
RE: Ill Fate Mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 03-11-2016, 09:09 PM