Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SpedeMix
A nice alternative vision compared with my Mix Rescue version, certainly. It's interesting to hear a more hi-fi sound like this, and with such a lovely open sound you've created for the drums. The ride in particular is a thing of beauty. The mix coherence is really good too, but on the downside I do wonder if the reverb overall is making itself a bit too consciously audible. I'd probably increase the HF damping in particular, because it feels like that's washing things out slightly.

Going for a rich bass tone like this is also a sensible solution to the thinness of the chorus guitars on the multitrack, so I'm with you there. I like the 'garagey' slapback-style effects for the solo guitar too -- they really work well for me. (Although the mix does then feel like it's slightly missing something when they disappear. Maybe that's just because I like them so much!) Good idea with the reverse fill into chorus two at 2:07 as well. The clarity of the high guitar on the left at 2:39 is also something I'm fond of.

I agree with ThePhonk that the "now or never" entry disappoints, though, even trying to mentally compensate for my familiarity with this particular project. The little background ad-libs also seem to have fallen between two stools too, in that they're loud enough to be a little distracting, but without being loud enough that I can really hear what they're saying. That might be intentional (and defensible artistically), but it didn't win me over personally. Thought your master-fader ride for the final chorus worked, though.

Overall this is a very appealing mix which I enjoyed listening to. Thanks for posting!

Messages In This Thread
SpedeMix - by Spede - 28-06-2012, 03:54 PM
RE: SpedeMix - by ThePhonk - 28-06-2012, 05:37 PM
RE: SpedeMix - by Mike Senior - 28-06-2012, 10:33 PM