Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pray For The Rain mix
Here's my first crack at this song, and my first post here. A bit about myself: I aspired to be an audio engineer out of high school 25 years ago and attended the now defunct College for Recording Arts in San Francisco. I didn't pay my dues enough in terms of working for free, so I moved on to earning a living doing boring things not related to music. Since then, technology has brought the studio to the comfort of our homes and now I'm giving it another go (before my ears get too old). For the last month, I've started picking up free tracks and mixing them. I'm a few weeks into learning Reaper after struggling with Audacity a couple of weeks prior.

The mix: Well, I kinda went REO Speedwagon on this one, drenched in reverb and compressed with high attack on many of the tracks. It has it's own pleasant character (to my ears), but I may have squashed the life out of it. Another issue I'm trying to sort out is my de-essing strategy not playing well with the "air" track I'm mixing back in with the vocals. The "air" track is fed pre-FX from the vocal track and compressed at a much higher rate. It matches up on most of the sibilant consonants, but sounds really screwy on some, especially F's. Also on the todo list is a more creative panning strategy and giving each guitar its own space, and the mids really start building with multiple layers of guitars.

Any feedback from fresh ears out there would be appreciated.

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Pray For The Rain.mp3 --  (Download: 13.15 MB)

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Pray For The Rain V2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.15 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Pray For The Rain mix - by parnellij - 17-11-2015, 09:39 PM
RE: Pray For The Rain mix - by ThomasStevenson - 30-11-2015, 06:52 AM
RE: Pray For The Rain mix - by parnellij - 30-04-2016, 11:16 AM
RE: Pray For The Rain mix - by ThomasStevenson - 02-05-2016, 02:14 AM