Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homebound - Matt's mix
Matt, i pulled the tracks the next day after hearing your mix, inquisitiveness got the better of me. and i loved the song and it's delivery; the phrasing was superb! then i got one of those "Oh dear" moments, and disappointment kind of swept over me. i actually thought initially, we had 2 vocalists? we did in a way....but i certainly didn't expect the same voice on each track. that caught me off balance! lol. anyway, i've mixed it and i'll post it up shortly - it's still on the studio box at the mo'. i went wild with it......flipping the polarities, and engaging in some stereo voodoo tricks. while it initially started as 2 tracks, i ended up with a whole lot more. great fun indeed.

i don't know about you, but i found using compressors anywhere in the mix on this material to be a no-goer?

the troublesome frequencies on the acoustic i found to be at 7 and 8.9kHz. Because the tracks are very warm in nature (such is the genre, eh?), anything we lose in the treble hits the vocal, what there is of it up around the HMF's that is. i took the dynamicEQ route and notched them, as a static simply upset the trebles too much. i like to use dynamicEQ with acoustic guitars because it contains the overzealous nature of the resonances without killing off a guitar's timbre.

i'm afraid i don't use convolutions much, if ever - not enough parameter options for my needs, but in the right place they are simply untouchable in their quality of presentation. i'm old-school....the 140 plate is compulsory on an aux, and some top notch gear from TC Electronic's Powercore; the VSS3 is stunning for example, though the gear is no longer supported. because the plate doesn't offer early reflections but does an excellent job in manipulating the illusion of depth, i'll embrace any plug-in which delivers early reflections well in order to complement it.....you can't go wrong with one of the market leaders really. the Sonnox is fantastic for parameter nutheads like myself. check out some trials and see what floats your boat. Altiverb isn't in my vocabulary sadly, owing to the cost/benefit issues in my stable......wayyyy too rich. you could buy half of the sonnox gear during a sale for the equivalent price and i can't justify it, as good as it may well be. the SSL stuff is also good. darn, it's all good! ahhhhh.

i dare you to go mad with the next mix, and slap it around with some m/s tricks, and flick the polarities and see what you can shake out of it. whatever we end up with, one thing is for sure - it's going to be a big compromise. i wish i'd known the nature of the material before i dropped in and gave you feedback, i might have been a bit more useful! ho hum. try mixing down the vox+AcGtr track to mono and use this as the anchor for the song, while building stuff around it. difficult to explain...perhaps have a listen to mine on the morrow for a bit of a giggle. i took some risks Wink

catch ya laters...

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Homebound - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 21-05-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: Homebound - Matt's mix - by The_Metallurgist - 22-05-2015, 06:18 PM
RE: Homebound - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 22-05-2015, 09:08 PM
RE: Homebound - Matt's mix - by The_Metallurgist - 26-05-2015, 11:39 PM