Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
WWMBD: What would Michael Brauer do?
Thanks for listening, Dave, though I think you misunderstand me from time to time. The whole point of of trying to execute a mix with this strategy was to step outside of my comfort zone as far as how I conduct a mix.

Generally I don't macro-mix like this and focus on the individual tracks, but as you've mentioned, that sometimes leads to overprocessing on my part. So I was trying a strategy deliberately geared toward processing less in a manner that forced me to focus on the big picture.

So is this mix overprocessed? Maybe... but the only processing on individual tracks is simple high/low filtering. After that, there are four compressors at maybe 5 dB GR max, four saturators set to about 10 to 20 percent, and four channel strip style EQs that are there mainly for color... two of them haven't even had knobs twisted. In comparison to some of my other mixes, this one is significantly less processed.

Since you're interested in my monitoring, I'll admit I'm reluctant to say anything at all because I'm quite sure nothing within my financial means is going to be good enough for many readers on the forum, but they're the 5 inch Alesis Elevates. Not stellar, probably not found in many pro studios, but they're reasonably accurate across the frequency spectrum and I've not had any serious, unfixable translation issues to my other speakers. Unfortunately, though, I have to work with what I can afford, and sometimes shaking down my strategy by trying something new is the only way to make a meaningful improvement.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
WWMBD: What would Michael Brauer do? - by pauli - 17-05-2015, 04:22 AM
RE: WWMBD: What would Michael Brauer do? - by pauli - 21-05-2015, 05:39 PM