Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright - By My Side(let the bleed be fixed!)
Hi!

Vocal generally sits a bit better now I think for me (sounds a touch brighter perhaps?) but I think you've maybe gone too far in the other direction now with the de-esser! It's a bit harsh even for my ears at the 33s,44s,54s,56s, I feel? If you can't get a good balance with the de-esser you might have success with automation. I've just re-opened my session to check and I did a little manual volume duck with automation at those points, if it helps any? The thought has just occured to me that you could maybe try automating the de-esser threshold at those points also. I've never tried that, but it might work.

To clarify I didn't have a problem with the compression/limiting in your version, I was just stating that I noticed it due to mine being not so compressed. I found the other day that there is a video of the commercial release of this track on youtube from 2016, and your version reminded me of that - a good thing. I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction on that score.

Yeah the snare thing is tricky with this - that's why I basically did nothing to the vocal so I didn't have to deal with it as such. I eq'd a little high shelf on the vocal to bring it out more, but I was also listening to the snare in the full mix too as I adjusted it, as I found I could get some sort of top end on the snare (that I was looking for too) from the vocal eq.

Cheers.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kat Wright - By My Side(let the bleed be fixed!) - by mikej - 11-03-2020, 08:45 PM