Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Elder & Mark M Thompson - The English Actor
(26-11-2019, 08:07 PM)mikej Wrote: I dunno, they did put in a cymbal hit to introduce the lead vocal - what more do you want? Maybe it's because the vocal doesn't start on beat 1 of the bar? I might try slotting in a filter sweep or something. Perhaps I can find a part I can fly in from elsewhere in the track.

Regarding the arrangement I think these multitracks might be from Mike Seniors re-arranged version from reading the associated article, but not sure. I'll have another read through as there might be some helpful clues there to pick up on.

Yeah, synths could be a bit loud I suppose. I did play around with the vocal level as I thought they might be better up a db but thought they were about ok where they are. Now you've mentioned the synths, I feel I could duck the synths a bit for the verses certainly, as they are the same level as in the intro. I'm happy with the chorus delays and tone though for now.

I'm with you with regard to it feeling a bit flat. I did try though! The example mix does have fairly compressed drums that might give some more movement, but I'm not really a fan of that sound I don't think. I could give it a go though. There's not that much difference tonally between the kick and snare, so could be worth trying some drum replacement. I did side-chain a lot of the synths - maybe I need to also side-chain the main pad too, and maybe exaggerate the effect a bit more. I might also be able to feature the guitar a bit more in the chorus. I could also look at spicing up the buses a bit too.

Appreciate you sharing your honest thoughts - you've certainly given me plenty to think about and consider. It's going to be quite challenging for me to knock this one into proper shape. I shall be giving it a go though for sure.

Cheers!
Maybe there was a cymbal hit. I didn't notice. The impact of the change of scene didn't come through. I'm not sure a lot has to be done but as is it's static and could have a greater differentiation between the intro and verse. It's mostly an arrangement issue(*) but the mix could accentuate the change.

No one thinks you didn't try though. A good effort overall. Just giving some things to think about.

Cheers.

* Quick edit. I keep thinking and commenting about how arrangement issues affect a mix and that's a lot of what mixers have to deal with. I'm usual a proponent of mixing what you're given because that was the artist's vision but sometimes we have to know what works or doesn't in the final form. Sometimes there are changes or accents or whatever is instrumentally added to make an impact but when it comes to the final mis it might not work or might not be enough. Or the artist might be so used to the track and changes that they don't notice a need for any reinforcement. In the end it's our job as mixers to support the artist and their vision however necessary. It might be automation or an effect or a mute and it may be very subtle. An actor might act the heck out of a soliloquy but the lighting guy has to have the spotlight on him. A basic analogy but the point stands.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.

Messages In This Thread
RE: James Elder & Mark M Thompson - The English Actor - by Roy - 26-11-2019, 08:16 PM