Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Elder & Mark M Thompson - The English Actor
I dunno, they did put in a cymbal hit to introduce the lead vocal - what more do you want? Maybe it's because the vocal doesn't start on beat 1 of the bar? I might try slotting in a filter sweep or something. Perhaps I can find a part I can fly in from elsewhere in the track.

Regarding the arrangement I think these multitracks might be from Mike Seniors re-arranged version from reading the associated article, but not sure. I'll have another read through as there might be some helpful clues there to pick up on.

Yeah, synths could be a bit loud I suppose. I did play around with the vocal level as I thought they might be better up a db but thought they were about ok where they are. Now you've mentioned the synths, I feel I could duck the synths a bit for the verses certainly, as they are the same level as in the intro. I'm happy with the chorus delays and tone though for now.

I'm with you with regard to it feeling a bit flat. I did try though! The example mix does have fairly compressed drums that might give some more movement, but I'm not really a fan of that sound I don't think. I could give it a go though. There's not that much difference tonally between the kick and snare, so could be worth trying some drum replacement. I did side-chain a lot of the synths - maybe I need to also side-chain the main pad too, and maybe exaggerate the effect a bit more. I might also be able to feature the guitar a bit more in the chorus. I could also look at spicing up the buses a bit too.

Appreciate you sharing your honest thoughts - you've certainly given me plenty to think about and consider. It's going to be quite challenging for me to knock this one into proper shape. I shall be giving it a go though for sure.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
RE: James Elder & Mark M Thompson - The English Actor - by mikej - 26-11-2019, 08:07 PM