Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
#50 Howlin - What did you say about Robert Pattinson? Take it back!
Overall the balance works well. Some things jump out at me.
I'm not a fan of the distortion on the piano at the top.
The vocal gets a bit harsh in the 2-3k region when she pushes or the bgvs stack together.
I'm not familiar with this tunes or the basic tracks so it's hard to say how things sound normally. I'd download it but apparently I have to go through PureMix. Also, it's 90 tracks. It doesn't sound like 90 tracks. Feel free to drop some that are hurting the mix.
I'm assuming it isn't an acoustic piano. Sometimes synth pianos add "3d" processing to try to create more depth or interest. It you have phase issues with something like that then playing with phase alignment probably won't help in a relatively complex sound as a piano. Pan it narrower or just pick a side and go with the left (probably) or right hand and see how that sits. As far as the acoustics go, did you flip the polarity on one? Did that help? Some times shit happens and things interact weirdly. This would be a case where phase alignment between the two separate acoustic tracks could help. But more likely there more going on with the acoustic tracks than meets the ear.

{Fake Edit} I just listened to it in mono. It still sounds pretty good. Yeah, you're right. The acoustics do get louder when I flip the polarity in mono. Try flipping the polarity of one. The piano gets 'duller' but level wise the balance still works. Panning it inwards a bit might help but in the end I don't think it's a big deal and maybe that phase stuff going on creates depth in stereo that doesn't hurt the mix when it's in mono. It's a compromise that works.

In the end it feels like a good mix. The piano has some distortion that's distracting and that should be fixed. The vocals can get harsh around 3k. As do some of the guitars(?). Notably around 3 minutes.

That's it. That's all I noticed. It's a solid, pop song mix. Especially for dealing with 90 tracks. Good job.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.

Messages In This Thread
RE: #50 Howlin - What did you say about Robert Pattinson? Take it back! - by Roy - 19-07-2019, 02:12 PM