Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands
(23-04-2019, 01:29 PM)mikej Wrote: I really appreciate the advice I'm being given on here it means a lot.

I do feel like I'm starting to get somewhere with this.

I'm hearing and thinking about things differently, and am starting to understand my mistakes (I hope).

I have another mix (revision 3) ready, which I will add to the first post.

As suggested I've drastically cut down on the ambience. Huge difference.

Switching off all the ambience stuff really did give me the space to hear what I felt I needed to do processing wise.

I think I've got the vocals sitting about right now?

I actually lowered the volume of the vocal in the mix and was quite surprised with the result - it seemed the whole mix suddenly seemed to snap in place, into focus so to speak, so hopefully it's starting to come together.

I feel I might be able to push the bass (that was a great tip there Mixinthecloud) and the main guitar even more up front than I have in the latest revision, and maybe add in just a touch more ambience?

I think the snare currently sounds ok, but maybe could do with more work.

Going to give my ears a bit of a break first though I think. It might all be ok as it is I guess. I haven't tried Quathamer's snare tip yet...

I also thought about the over processed mix bus suggestion. I didn't feel I had anything too drastic on there, but I have swapped out the eq I was using for something that I think works better for this mix, and I've also changed the limiter for something cleaner too. The previous combination was adding more saturation and distortion than I realised.

I can now really hear the changes the mix bus processing has, where the mix is at the moment, especially the eq - to the point I'm actually not 100% sure I want eq on the mixbus now.

I also added about 0.3db of side gain which I felt opened up the stereo image nicely. Currently I don't feel it's too much, but I guess I might change my mind once my ears have had a rest.

I'd better post the latest revision up.

Thanks!

The vocal is sitting in a much better place with a fuller ensemble as well. Good work on that. The snare definitely needs work as does the bass for some better definition and less boom. Great work.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 21-04-2019, 05:16 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 22-04-2019, 04:35 AM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 22-04-2019, 07:34 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 23-04-2019, 05:02 AM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 23-04-2019, 01:29 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by Mixinthecloud - 23-04-2019, 02:25 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 24-04-2019, 02:26 AM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 24-04-2019, 11:09 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 25-04-2019, 09:39 PM