Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Bitter - Olli H
I’m glad you liked my mix

(18-04-2019, 09:47 AM)music_nino Wrote: How did you get the open and wide sound? Is it because of mixing on good studio monitors (Genelecs have a high-resolution in the high frequencies) or is there another trick?

I mainly mix with headphones (HD600), but I do some checkings with Genelecs. But it seems to be happy situation as my mixing decisions are about the same in both listening modes.

When I try to add wideness, there’s no single trick in my mixing. First of all, I try to make it so the important instruments are not masked by anything. Then I try to find frequencywise matching pairs (hi-hat on the right => shaker to the left etc).
There were doble guitars, I didn’t pan them left-right, as they begun to sound like one big guitar together. Instead I panned one double gtr to left, and another to the right, so now I have two different sounding guitars in opposite positions.
I used very sparingly reverbs as, I think, they tend to glue the widness away. I use more delays. But for example with drums there’s probably too much delays now, but I happend to be on that mood yesterday.
I run widely panned guitars and keyboards through parallel compression.

(18-04-2019, 09:47 AM)music_nino Wrote: Moreover, how did you EQ the vocals to remove the low-mid mud without making them toppy?

Actually I didn’t care about it so much. I just have a static eq at 297 hz, 707 hx and 1414 hz with sharp cuts about 4db. After that I added some brightness to vox with other eqs. There are still some words were the room is humming, but it bothers me only in solo-listening, so I didn’t try to fix all.

During mixing I tend to focus more on things I want to hear. I’ve noticed that too much fixing kills also the good sounds, at leas in my head. I've noticed that if I spent 5 minutes to fixing bad things, my ears get bored, and after that it's difficult to find those small important things to enhance - the big fixer within me starts to dominate the small mixer within me.

Messages In This Thread
Bitter - Olli H - by Olli H - 18-04-2019, 08:55 AM
RE: Bitter - Olli H - by music_nino - 18-04-2019, 09:47 AM
RE: Bitter - Olli H - by Olli H - 18-04-2019, 11:36 AM
RE: Bitter - Olli H - by kapu - 19-04-2019, 03:07 AM
RE: Bitter - Olli H - by FytaKyte - 19-04-2019, 04:53 AM
RE: Bitter - Olli H - by Dangerous - 19-04-2019, 01:00 PM
RE: Bitter - Olli H - by Olli H - 20-04-2019, 07:23 PM