Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' mixed in Presonus Studio One
Hi jameswoo -- nice clear-sounding mix, this. A few things to check over, though:
  • The bass guitar is all but missing from the mix. Given that it's musically one of the most interesting parts, and also makes a big impact on the rhythmic groove, I think this is probably a miscalculation.
  • The vocal is quite sibilant, and could do with some de-essing. This sibilance is also splashing around on a bright reverb, which not only emphasises those esses, but also dates the production a bit. I'd shorten and darken that reverb.
  • The guitar in the Intro, Verse 1, Verse 3, and Chorus 2 sounds pretty appropriate, but the guitar in Verse 2 and Chorus 3 sounds extremely thin and brittle by comparison.
  • I like the sounds you've got for the conga and timbale -- not too spiky, with plenty of tone. It sounds like quite a few editing clicks are coming through, especially in the Intro, so it'd be worth cleaning those up.
  • The piano is balanced high enough in the mix that it's becoming a bit too audible to me, given that it's a mechanical-sounding MIDI part.
  • You could balance the mob vocals in the Outro higher, because at the moment the solo vocal sounds a bit too exposed, which undermines the singalong vibe of the outro for me.

Hope those are some good pointers. Thanks for uploading your mix!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' mixed in Presonus Studio One - by Mike Senior - 16-01-2019, 01:32 PM