Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew - Get Out Of Bed [OctoOnFire]
@kapu Thanks, I share most of your feelings about the Mastodon record, especially the remark about the tambourine. It actually pissed me off to the point I stopped listening to that record for months after purchasing for full retail price. I won't go deeper into my love-hate relationship with this album ^^". I'm not specifically after the sound of it, just getting inspiration from these extremely mangled drums and see where can I take it, considering the different overall character of Mastodon and this song we're mixing, ofc.
The sound I envision is loud, open, larger than life and also "silky" for lack of a better term. I want the listener to picture them playing in a hangar or a canyon, or in the eye of a hurricane. The words from your last paragraph really resonate with me when I think about this. That ability to make all the elements interact wildly and push some of them to the limit, but achieving a 'forgiving' sound (which I identify as smooth and contained). I know my craft much less than I'd like, so this is what I came up with (still, I'm very happy and proud about it! Big Grin)

I don't think I'll start it all over again, but I'll eventually go back to it and do some more adjustments from the feedback I'm getting.

@Deliza I really welcome all the technical feedback, it helps a lot. But I also really want to know what people FEEL about my mix. Gracias!
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Magician's Nephew - Get Out Of Bed [OctoOnFire] - by OctopusOnFire - 08-11-2018, 04:57 PM