Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew - Get Out Of Bed [OctoOnFire]
(05-11-2018, 01:33 PM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: I'd be interested to know what sort of sonic ballpark you're aiming for - do you have any references in mind?

I was using "Get Free" from The Vines during mixing to readjust my ears, mostly because of the aggressive sound of that song. It has a lot of energy in the mids (not so much on the hi-mids) and still sounds pleasing. but I'm afraid it's due to the tone of the guitars and the voices. It's a great mix, and that's obviously a factor.
I've been also listening to Mastodon's Emperor Of Sand, which has INSANELY distorted drums, just to see if I could go for something similar (considering the different genres, ofc). BTW, the drums seem to have "zero" punch at some parts of this album, It's weird and even some would say wrong, but I dunno, it got my attention. Check 'Scorpion Breath' or some sections of 'Clandestinity' and let me know what you think.

Could you be more specific about that harshness? like, where is it coming mostly from? The voice, the quitars or drums, the center or the sides...? Is it top top end or more around 5-7KHz?

Listening back I see that I could rebalance some things, like bringing the kick forward. Probably the snare could have a little more 200Hz now, too.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Magician's Nephew - Get Out Of Bed [OctoOnFire] - by OctopusOnFire - 05-11-2018, 07:01 PM