Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dino Monked
(07-08-2018, 11:21 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Very musical and contrasting, nicely assembled Monk. I can't comment on the bass, but listening on my small computer speakers (a sound signature that i'm quite familiar with) the mix translates really well. The snare maybe pushed back a little, but I do like the room this gives to the melodic structure of the song and you do bring it forward through the fills. An enjoyable listen. Well Done

I concluded the drums were programmed. Keeping the snare banging relentlessly for the duration of the record contributes to predictability which in turn leads to disinterest. I just had to break it up. This benefits the musical dynamic in an otherwise static arrangement, while relaxing the vibe and gives the listener a chance to get their breath back from the vamps. Substituting it with the shaker works better for my goals than a hard pushed, constantly 'in your face' snare.

The situation we all need to arrive at, is a space where bass can be accurately assessed. This requires quite a deep understanding and application of acoustic knowhow. I came across a leading plugin manufacturer's page which said you could put a sub woofer anywhere in a room because "bass is omnidirectional". So it might be, but we ignore the effects of standing waves at our peril, which they conveniently ignored. Headphones are not a solution, neither is referencing. I work a lot with digital imaging. If your screen isn't calibrated, your eyes don't see the truth, you only think it's the truth you are looking at:

The brain is easily fooled by misinformation.

Thanks for dropping by and giving me your take. I especially found the translation information helpful. There might well be some opportunities to be found it bringing the snare up fractionally, but I'd need to finish the new room before exploration with any degree of confidence. You see, I'd be fearful that it might end up dominating proceedings too much at higher listening intensities for example, and we're back to a snare that's in your face again all the way through.

There is actually a wayward synth which needs better dynamic control, but that can wait. Maybe forever Big Grin
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.

Messages In This Thread
Dino Monked - by Monk - 30-07-2018, 12:40 PM
RE: Dino Monked - by Bombe - 03-08-2018, 09:29 AM
RE: Dino Monked - by Monk - 16-08-2018, 06:20 PM
RE: Dino Monked - by Faders_up - 04-08-2018, 04:43 AM
RE: Dino Monked - by Monk - 06-08-2018, 01:28 PM
RE: Dino Monked - by Dangerous - 07-08-2018, 11:21 AM
RE: Dino Monked - by Monk - 20-08-2018, 01:52 PM
RE: Dino Monked - by 5ras - 21-11-2018, 09:33 AM
RE: Dino Monked - by Monk - 28-01-2019, 01:55 PM