Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dino Monked
(03-08-2018, 09:29 AM)Bombe Wrote: Couple of comments..

Thanks for commenting on the run in. I had to restrain my enthusiasm in the fx department.

I gave the drums an ambiance which places them in a space, and that space on the whole, includes them with the rest of the performance i.e. soundstage. That said, there's times the drums go wild (the warning that not all is going to be simple, comes from the run in!) in an effort to bring some additional energy and excitement into proceedings, where the snare is delayed. That's probably what you are hearing. I liked the drama it gave me. Reducing the kit's ambiance has a negative effect on the illusion of the sound stage and doesn't suit my vision. Things need to be viewed not as a separate entity, because changing one thing in a mix affects everything else.

The conclusion works fine for my vision. I wanted tension and the logical point to start the process was from the bass growl and cymbal hit; the mute point. From this moment onwards, the arrangement builds, concluding with the 3 accents. There's tension, buildup, expectation and release. The perfect ending? Angel Bringing the snare in when I did, gave me a dramatic entry point while joining the accented moments to bring some synergy. Importantly, while the kit is muted, it allows the listener to focus on the build up of the instruments, which arguably, adds to the tension. At least that was the idea.

Thanks for listening and especially for contributing your thoughts and perspectives regarding the tricks.

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.

Messages In This Thread
Dino Monked - by Monk - 30-07-2018, 12:40 PM
RE: Dino Monked - by Bombe - 03-08-2018, 09:29 AM
RE: Dino Monked - by Monk - 16-08-2018, 06:20 PM
RE: Dino Monked - by Faders_up - 04-08-2018, 04:43 AM
RE: Dino Monked - by Monk - 06-08-2018, 01:28 PM
RE: Dino Monked - by Dangerous - 07-08-2018, 11:21 AM
RE: Dino Monked - by Monk - 20-08-2018, 01:52 PM
RE: Dino Monked - by 5ras - 21-11-2018, 09:33 AM
RE: Dino Monked - by Monk - 28-01-2019, 01:55 PM