Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new analog gear
Here's the details. Ok so I run each track through a Rupert 511 set to line level input (odB) and then Heritage EQ73jr. That's the new stuff. Then into Sony 2900 console (transformers look like the ones in API stuff) I use the channel's baxandall EQ, then send it through the active summing amps on the groups, sometimes even more group EQ and sometimes I use the built in VCA compressors.

I went ahead and used the 73 EQ very aggressively, boosting every band as much as possible without it being terrible. This gave things a really nice silky and pro flavor, there's no going back. After this I tried the Sony EQs which are really good at sweetening and thickening things while also broad shaping, so I did more Sony boosts hi and low shelves, like I usually do but a little more mild. I was pretty surprised the Sony EQ wins vs the 73 for analog sweetening, 73 wins for the pro glossy yet bold sound that stands up and climbs out of the speakers. I'm pretty happy I finally have that sound.

Ok.. so I went track by track, making each sound the best I could before printing, took about 4 hours. No question analog gave everything a smooth richer character. Things feel discrete and separate, and using plugins feel like anything is possible after this step. I added some stereo processing to a few things, and spent time on vocal effects. In the end I did a very quick mix on ns10s, just a gut feeling kind of thing.

I went over to my KEFs and right away I had way too much low end buildup. I put an EQ on master and massaged lows out of kick and bass. For master channel, I only used ReaEQ to subtract some more lows, bring up more mids and highs. No limiting.

Messages In This Thread
new analog gear - by mixogen - 28-07-2018, 02:02 AM
RE: new analog gear - by mixogen - 28-07-2018, 05:19 AM
RE: new analog gear - by Frequency Painter - 28-07-2018, 09:48 AM
RE: new analog gear - by mixogen - 28-07-2018, 08:10 PM
RE: new analog gear - by Frequency Painter - 28-07-2018, 08:30 PM
RE: new analog gear - by mixogen - 28-07-2018, 09:44 PM
RE: new analog gear - by mixogen - 12-08-2018, 03:37 AM