Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My humble approach to Changing Things, Newly and Nicely Refined
(22-08-2017, 02:32 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(22-08-2017, 02:10 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: ---------------
Ya know, you are probably right about the overheads. I know Jazz purists love the drums to sound a certain way....almost mono. But, for most other genres and other materials in this forum, listening to the overheads gives a clear indication of just where the "spread & location" are of the toms, hat, etc. :-) I also always mix from the drummer's perspective, and some of the best "pro" mixes I've heard both in Jazz/Fusion and other genres are mixed that way. That's why it confuses me when some people get all bent out of shape when you mix drums that way. Once thing is that "rules" are meant to be broken and in today's world there are no longer ANY rules.....hee heeee. I know you agree with me on that.

Peace,
Tom

Tom,

Rule breaking is not even a question in audio. It is probably the most subjective thing in the human experience. As for drum mixing perspective, I for one would love to know (when tracks are delivered in stereo like overheads), is left, stage left, or audience left? I have always mixed from the listeners perspective and almost never from the musician's perspective. This decision is based upon listening to mixes with video. When you know a drummers setup and you hear toms go from right to left in the stereo field, you can easily infer the perspective. When we as blind mixers (meaning we did not participate in nor have the ability to communicate with the artists/engineers) make decisions on placement of instrument in a drum mix, we have a few immediate decision to make. 1: Determining left and right (audience or stage), 2: Is the drummer left handed or right handed. Since we have none of that info nor the miking technique used to record drums, if any (i.e.: samples), we are pretty much free to do any placement we like. I like to mix visually meaning I try to mix so you can see the location of the players and their instruments. But that is just me and it varies according to genre.

-------------
Oh I agree with everything you said. Drum mixes are a delicate thing if, say, the artist WANTS it to be mixed from the audience perspective. I was thinking about someone who critiqued one of my mixes a while back who simply went on and on about mixing drums from the audience perspective and that I was doing it wrong by mixing from the drummer's perspective. I then gave numerous examples of famous and pro songs mixed that way.....never heard from him again....LOL.

----> I'm just a bit upset about someone here in your thread (and I think we know who we are talking about cause the comment is still up). I'm surprised that Mike didn't delete it because it was a thrashing, disingenuous, nonconstructive and condescending comment, and I'm sorry for you that SHE chose your mix to bash like that. Not only that, SHE actually trashed the artists and engineer/s who recorded the tracks. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Later,
Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek

Messages In This Thread
RE: My humble approach to Changing Things - by tjmtruth - 22-08-2017, 02:44 PM