Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My humble approach to Changing Things, Newly and Nicely Refined
What's with the 48kHz?

You need bass, which suggests you have a problem with monitoring? As we know, one part of the spectrum affects all others, so you need everything to work properly. The piano (which isn't a real piano?), needs to be brutally shaped if it's going to have any sort of credibility in the mix. You are instead mixing the harmonics, not the fundamentals and the harmonics combined.

I've yet to hear a piano in stereo, from an audience participation perspective. If you choose to make it stereo, you need to be sure we can point to it, rather than have it spread wide between two speakers with no apparent placement. Image is key, especially as those who follow the genre tend to be pretty picky about detail.

Are the drums facing the wrong way in your presented illusion?

The drum kit has elements which sound full-on frontal and yet with others set back? The stereo width is also exaggerated. Width affects depth and the listener's perception of proximity, so again there's some ambiguity. The kit has spectral and amplitude imbalances between it's elements. Personally speaking, I'd have muted the piano (which is by now getting a little irritating because it's not taking me anywhere), and instead given the drums a solo at 4:00 and made them bang. It's screaming out for it, wouldn't you say?

Messages In This Thread
RE: My humble approach to Changing Things, Refined - by Max Headroom - 22-08-2017, 01:48 PM