Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My humble approach to Changing Things, Newly and Nicely Refined
(17-08-2017, 10:12 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: ----------------

Indeed, as you did, I always listen to the overheads to determine approximately where the toms should be panned. I think most every mixing engineer does that unless some type of special effect is being employed.

Cheers.....
Tom

----------------

Tom,

Are you sure of that. Especially in a jazz environment? When I listen to the overheads on this song, I hear the snare coming from the left. I often assume there are evenly spaced matching mics used overhead, but that is only conjecture. There are plenty of excellent mic techniques which do not adhere to this 'standard'. Here is the Glyn Johns technique (https://www.recordingrevolution.com/the-...ng-method/) Very interesting and excellent results. I remember doing a session in a great sounding space and as I was walking up to the kit the drummer was hitting the kick and I could hear the snap and punch of that drum coming right off the floor. I put an RE20 there, about 6 ft. in front of the kit angled at the floor 3 ft. in front of the kick. It was one of the best kick sounds I ever got and gave tremendous depth to the entire kit in the mix. Who knows what's going to work? As a side note, I tried that rig again in other studios and it did not work the way it did in that earlier space.

Check out my new mix. The space I put the players in, is more refined which dictated a new balance.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
RE: My humble approach to Changing Things - by Mixinthecloud - 18-08-2017, 04:06 AM