Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Graham - AZ Mix
Hi AZ thanks for the comments on my mix!

This really isn't an easy set of multis to mix and you've done an ok job here, to me though it's very thin sounding and the drums especially have no power to them even with your replacement of the kick and augmentation of the snare. Really the drums need to be scrapped on this and programmed out or get one of your drummer friends to record some live drums to this. The best work you've done here is on the vocals as they really build through out but it seems like it doesn't carry over to the rest of the band, they get loud but don't add anything different or get fatter. With these modern Pop Punk acts drums really play a huge roll in the drive of the track are the backbone of the sound, have a small sounding kit here really will make the band sound lifeless (take a listen to Green Day, especially American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown and listen to how big and powerful those drums are).

The guitars also sound good, they have a blanket over them in terms of the high end, the vocals have the same thing, I'd recommend boosting the guitars at 2 kHz and a little bit of high shelf boost at 10 kHz on the vocals to get them to give some sheen to them. Try using a clickier sample for the kick and ditch that original snare for something more cracking and powerful in the mix.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
Four Graham - AZ Mix - by azwayne - 24-04-2016, 07:34 AM
RE: Four Graham - AZ Mix - by dcp10200 - 18-07-2017, 10:29 AM
RE: Four Graham - AZ Mix - by azwayne - 19-07-2017, 04:34 AM