Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hammer Down
Not trying to insult you at all, I'm just curious. Anyhow, this is a decent starting point for a mix.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
[/quote]

I like drums a lot and metal. I am not a drummer, I am a guitarist who also plays piano, bass and sings. I'm not insulted. I think I will listen on another system before I make any real changes though.

I have an excellent set up and I am getting more confident in my mixes.
(take a look at the pictures next time you go to my page)

I just installed beefier bass traps in my only 90 degree corner of my room.
My monitor levels are just over normal conversation level and I have a sub but I try not excite the room with loud levels when making mixing decisions.

There is definitely an arc to my progress over the past year.

The original music spans the past four years.
The synth is the star of the show and should be loud, but I'll check that too.
limiting and compression on the bass is a good idea. I'll focus on the bass when I audition the mix on another system. I already thought that that would be an issue.
I think the kick is actually loud in the solo guitar passage, haha. I thought the lead guitar levels all around deserved to go up a Db. or two. A guess the question is can you hear ever intonation of the guitar during the solo with straining your brain.
I don't like the way the kick drum sounds with a boost at 100 hz. and I actually notched 80 hz. to get rid of unwanted build up.
Idk about having different kick drum for the sections, I mean I get it and having specific parts for dynamic purposes can be a way to make stuff work but then you have to deal with phase issues and what not. I think that if I need to really increase the low end than I can try moving bass guitar up and working with the master bus.

I definitely knew I would have to perform some automation in the long run but I wanted to post this to gain some feedback to help with that decision making process.

This post is too long....
I do believe that this mix is close and some minor tweaking will take it to the next level and I can almost guarantee that most of you evaluation is correct regarding the low end energy. I believe the idea of this song is make it as clean and tight as possible and that can be difficult when there are so many important dynamics. Bass can be the enemy in music like this but also a necessity.
O.K. I've said too much here, but I'll leave you with this.
I value your feedback because I think your mixes are better than most on this site. So thank you.

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1

Messages In This Thread
Hammer Down - by wesleyamltd - 02-04-2017, 09:57 PM
RE: Hammer Down - by dcp10200 - 03-04-2017, 04:32 AM
RE: Hammer Down - by wesleyamltd - 03-04-2017, 11:45 AM
RE: Hammer Down - by Blitzzz - 03-04-2017, 04:50 PM
RE: Hammer Down - by wesleyamltd - 03-04-2017, 07:14 PM