Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hammer Down
Overall it's a decent mix, the balance of instruments is pretty solid (the bass could come down a touch and the synths during the chorus are overpowering). My main gripe here is that it lacks low end, the kick and bass are lacking some of that fundamental beef down in the sub 200 Hz range. I'd try doing a boost at 70 Hz on the kick and a 100 Hz boost on the bass just to bring out the "thunder" in the low end. If you're worried about the kick building up too much during the 16 th note passages split the kick into 2 tracks, a general kick track for the non double kick sections and a "BR00TZ" kick track for the double kick sections. The general kick track would be basically what you have now but with more low end with less click, the other track should be lighter on the low end and have a slightly more exaggerated click sound to it. The double kick could also afford to come down some, during the guitar solo it's almost at the same level as the solo guitar, it seems to be a common feature of your mixes (are you a drummer?).

I've noticed that the bass is a tad inconsistent during certain sections, during the intro, verses, and turnarounds it's solid and clear, but during the pre choruses and choruses it starts to emulate And Justice For All ;P. I'd try using a limiter and compressor with each other so that you have more control over the bass during the track, this will anchor the low end of the mix and give the track the power it needs

I've listened to some of your original stuff and some other mixes you've made, the mistakes you're making here are similar to what's happening on your other material as well, what is your mix environment like and most importantly, how familiar are you with your set up? In my honest opinion it seems like you either aren't comfortable with your set up or you're in a less than ideal space with monitors too powerful for your room. Not trying to insult you at all, I'm just curious. Anyhow, this is a decent starting point for a mix.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
Hammer Down - by wesleyamltd - 02-04-2017, 09:57 PM
RE: Hammer Down - by dcp10200 - 03-04-2017, 04:32 AM
RE: Hammer Down - by wesleyamltd - 03-04-2017, 11:45 AM
RE: Hammer Down - by Blitzzz - 03-04-2017, 04:50 PM
RE: Hammer Down - by wesleyamltd - 03-04-2017, 07:14 PM
RE: Hammer Down - by Blitzzz - 03-04-2017, 11:03 PM
RE: Hammer Down - by Jimdolorian - 05-04-2017, 12:08 PM
RE: Hammer Down - by wesleyamltd - 06-04-2017, 02:21 PM
RE: Hammer Down - by Nick - 17-04-2019, 03:52 PM