Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Left Blind - Hard Mix - No Drum Samples
Ha. I meant no disrespect about the "younger" remark. I'm relatively old so the "aesthetic" of the first mix appealed to me in a nostalgic way. I could see a younger mixer want to hear more samples and a more modern sound but I think it fits.

That said I do like mix 2 more. I suspected that some of the decisions you made in the first mix was based on the raw tracks and sounds. Especially the OHs. I like the wider guitars. I like the character of the snare but feel like it needs some extra punch mostly in the opening slow sections. During the faster parts it works but it's so expose in the beginning that it needs to have some more weight behind it. I might be overthinking it. You said you used the mono OH as part of the snare sound. Did you check the phase of the drums? Maybe there's some cancelation going on. Or maybe not.
I still want something else from the bass. Maybe a little more of the hi passed track. But it's not bad as is. Just a personal preference.

There is an overtone in the overheads on one of the cymbals. In the intro section (0:21-to the 1st verse) is where I hear it the most. It's a little resonant and could probably easily be notched out.

It sounds good. The balances are all there and there's no real problems that I hear.
Good job.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Left Blind - Hard Mix - No Drum Samples - by Roy - 27-02-2017, 03:54 PM