Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay'
(09-02-2017, 07:02 PM)Bereket Wrote: Are we taking the same gear? the EMI is full of distortion if I remember correctly. I have never used that tool ever since I mix in Harrison Mixbus. Plus Why would I add a distortion on overhead rather tape? I add tape to smooth them up not distortion IMHO.

Yes, the EMI stuff is quite dirty! I'm talking about the plugin Waves NLS, something that I use regularly in my mixes, in the plugin the SSL or "Spike" master buss emulation (the plugin is divided over 2 plugins, NLS Buss for putting on the master buss of your DAW and NLS Channel, for the induvidual multi tracks. this is how you it basically simulates the workflow of summing stems on a console, channels simulate the distortions of the board of your choice and are routed to the Buss plugin in groups. For the SSL master buss you pick the Spike master buss, for the EMI TG you pick the Mike Master buss.) is technically clean BUT when you use the plugin on the master bus on that setting with a mild amount of drive it adds a harsh sounding distortion to the high end. The reason I asked you to put the buss plugin on the overheads was to demonstrate the distortion I was talking about (I will include in this post 2 clips of my demonstration with both versions of a basic drum mix from the track, one with the SSL and the other with the EMI TG with the drive on 6 for both). The Spike SSL Channel plugins are miles cleaner yes, but the Buss version isn't very clean.

Hope this clears it up

.mp3    Drums NLS SSL Emulation.mp3 --  (Download: 2.04 MB)

.mp3    Drums NLS EMI TG Emulation.mp3 --  (Download: 2.02 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay' - by thedon - 27-01-2017, 12:41 PM
RE: Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay' - by Roy - 27-01-2017, 02:19 PM
RE: Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay' - by kapu - 29-01-2017, 02:56 AM
RE: Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay' - by Roy - 30-01-2017, 07:00 PM
RE: Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay' - by Txory - 31-01-2017, 04:46 AM
RE: Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay' - by dcp10200 - 09-02-2017, 08:01 PM
RE: Ronnie Jones: 'Why Don't You Stay' - by loupi - 12-02-2017, 02:35 PM