Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright - my first rock mix
(06-02-2017, 08:19 PM)Sweliam Wrote: Hi Duke!
Nice mix! Good to hear that you're venturing into new territory. It's always great to expand your views. That said, here are some friendly pointers Smile

Some good things:
- I really like how present that cowbell/percussion is. It really compliments the track!
- The vocal is processed very well. Natural and clean.
- The guitar and piano sound very good!
- You haven't killed the dynamics in mastering, which is refreshing.
- I like the balance between mvox/bvox.

Some things to improve:
- I think the drums are pretty low and weak. Especially the snare.
- I personally don't think that 1/4th delay in the chorus compliments the track. Maybe lower it?
- The guitar in the beginning has a really noticeable verb. Maybe ride it lower and then raise it when the other instruments come in?
- I think the HF's are a bit recessed. Not necessarily bad, just pointing out.
- I don't like the panning on the acoustic other than in the beginning. I feel it tips the mix a bit to the left.

Other than that I'd recommend looking into different types of compression and utilize it. The compression here isn't bad, but there are improvements to be made. So, what genre are you originally from? Smile

/Simon B

Simon,
Thank you so much for the feedback! You provided exactly the type of information that I was hoping to get. In terms of your comments (don't worry I don't disagree with yours and I won't defend me) I thought the drums were quiet too, but I wasn't sure. I didn't want them to overpower things, so I erred on the quiet side. The delay was an experiment - I'll work more with it. I didn't think about the guitar in the beginning - I'll fix that, too. HF is high frequency? - I want to be sure I understand what you are suggesting. And for the acoustic, I had mixed thoughts about that, too. I'll see what I can come up with.

Finally, I don't know if the compression is bad - it's more like I have a hard time with compression. I've been mixing for about 6 months and I'm very early in the process of hearing things. I heard/read that compression is one of the last things one learns to hear, so I will work on that too.

Mostly I mix fingerstyle acoustic guitar, since that's what I play. I kept working on my recordings and decided that I needed a much better general knowledge and practice, so I came here.

Again, thanks for all the great suggestions. I know how my afternoon will be spent. :-)

Messages In This Thread
I'm Alright - my first rock mix - by Duke1418 - 01-02-2017, 10:18 PM
RE: I'm Alright - my first rock mix - by Sweliam - 06-02-2017, 08:19 PM
RE: I'm Alright - my first rock mix - by Duke1418 - 08-02-2017, 10:25 PM
RE: I'm Alright - my first rock mix - by Sweliam - 11-02-2017, 06:55 AM
RE: I'm Alright - my first rock mix - by Duke1418 - 18-04-2017, 10:11 PM