Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug
(04-12-2016, 03:06 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:
(03-12-2016, 02:52 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Maybe keeping the kick mic out of phase and not fixing it is the trick.

I would really advise against that Roy, while it makes the kick seem more loose and open mono compatibility then becomes an issue. The solution is to not use all three kick tracks, rather just use the kick in and Kick out tracks and filter out the top end on the kick out track and highpass the kick in track around 100 Hz and blend between the 2. As I mentioned to olli I was using Waves RBass on my kick to beef it up and some other heavy handed processing to send it home, simply removing that seemed to help the kick and allowed be to add a touch more low end to the bass.

Cheers,
Doug

But the kick is mono already so mono compatibility is moot. Sure you could argue how it might effect the OHs or Room signals but I wouldn't worry about that. I usually filter out the low end out of the OHs anyway. All it's really going to matter to is the sound of the kick and how all three mic signals react. If it sounds good if one of the mic's polarity is reversed then that's fine. It's only really an issue with stereo information. Yeah 95% of the time having a Kick in and Kick Out mic in phase sounds better and reinforces the low end but if you flip the phase of one and it sounds good then great. Of course, now check it with the rest of the drum mics and see which mic sounds better flipped. But the kick is mono already so mono compatibility is moot. Sure you could argue how it might effect the OHs or Room signals but I wouldn't worry about that. I usually filter out the low end out of the OHs anyway. All it's really going to matter to is the sound of the kick and how all three mic signals react. If it sounds good if one of the mic's polarity is reversed then that's fine. It's only really an issue with stereo information. Yeah 95% of the time having a Kick in and Kick Out mic in phase sounds better and reinforces the low end but if you flip the phase of one and it sounds good then great. Of course, now check it with the rest of the drum mics and see which mic sounds better flipped.

In the case of this song, if the out of phase kick mic cuts some lows and thins it out a little that might not be a bad thing. It's really just eq.

It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.

Messages In This Thread
Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by dcp10200 - 03-12-2016, 01:34 AM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Cudjoe - 03-12-2016, 04:58 AM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Olli H - 03-12-2016, 10:41 AM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Roy - 03-12-2016, 02:52 PM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Roy - 04-12-2016, 03:36 PM
RE: Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug - by Roy - 04-12-2016, 04:40 PM