Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admiral Crumple 'Keeps Flowing' [MixdByD]
Hey thanks for the review RoyMatthews. I'm a little embarrassed though because I've always been to lazy to learn to side chain and gate. Those techniques always seemed to advanced and complicating to me and i'm regretting it because it shows in my work I guess.

I mixed all the drums together on a bus track and there's all kinds of compression all over my mix so one of them or the combination could be triggering that effect. I tried to use them lightly though. I've been messing with the 'opto' setting lately. My goal was to make the kicks beat pretty hard but since this is a more underground rap song I felt the kick might need to chill out a little bit but I forget to approach that issue and let it thump. I guess to approach fixing that issue I will have to learn how to make the drums more linear instead of pumpy using a side chain.

I could have sworn I faded the sample in because I noticed the plain intro but by the time I was checking the master and realized the fade in wasn't there it was already 4am and I decided to let it be. Shows me I can't overlook things i feel might be a small problem because somebody will notice. I couldn't decided how to arrange it because it's just so basic so i faded the hats in and brought the drums in as entertaining as I can at this time lol. I can try to throw a bass line on it but I don't know how to find the key of the song because I don't know music theory.

The snare I know is too weak. I didn't do much to it because I didn't want to throw in yet another compressor and I have trouble choosing Attack and Release times so I just gave it my best guess from what I've learned. I didn't want to cheat myself by looking up settings while working on this one and that's the best I came up with for the snare. To approach the issue I might use a transient tool to adjust the attack and tweak the compressor settings until it snaps a little.

I thought it needed a deesser because I did the whole thing on my Sennheiser 201 and when everything was done I checked it out on some $8 Walgreen's earbuds I use and the esses were louder than what I expected. Guess I could leave it alone but I might warm up the hi end to make it sound a little better. Your completely right about the vocals. Although I feel like I made it blend good and don't have much complaints about the vocals it really doesn't have much character and is a little too clean for an underground storytelling hip hop track so thanks because I subconsciously told myself the vocals are too shiny and I never addressed it. Instead I tried to hide my amatuerness by blending it in. I guess I will mess with some distortion or saturation and look around to see if waves has any tools for this in the bundle I have.

Your advice really helps i'm going to note your suggestions to make sure those things are more important to my process. I'll post the results soon as I figure things out. Thanks again!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Admiral Crumple 'Keeps Flowing' [MixdByD] - by MixdByD - 29-11-2016, 08:51 PM