Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official Band's Thread: MUSIC & GEAR VIDEO! Q&A, detailed information etc.
(20-09-2016, 07:39 PM)wurstdrummer Wrote:
(20-09-2016, 06:38 AM)bitrate27 Wrote: Thanks for sharing this. Comparing my mix to the one you posted, I have a lot to learn. Starting with the guitars in the beginning. What did you do to them? They sound great. Also, you have 4 mics on each, did you use all 4 equally or choose one or two to highlight. Did you use envelopes to move the focus to different guitars in the early parts?

Hi Bitrate27,
we used the different sweet spots of each microphone to blend them into a harmonic sound. Smile

I attached a screenshot of our EQ settings.
Top left: Sennheiser md421 for the bass response
Top right: Shure sm57 for high end
Bottom left: Sennheiser e609 for midrange frequencies
Bottom right: Røde NT1-A for presence.

I'd say that this is just one to work with it, though. You could try it our way but you'd learn more about dealing with this kind of material if you tried to come up with your own way of treating it.

Have fun! Smile

That started me in the right direction, thanks! It really cleaned it up. Using a frequency sprectrum on ElecGtr1, I mapped the tracks to these mics:

Track Mic For Pic CenterBand
ElecGtr1Mic1 Sennheiser md421 bass response Top left 180
ElecGtr1Mic2 “Shure sm57” high end Top right 3500
ElecGtr1Mic3 Sennheiser e609 midrange Bottom left 750
ElecGtr1Mic4 Røde NT1-A presence Bottom right 1500

Mic2 and Mic3 were close, but just separating them by their sweet spot really helped. I assumed the other 2 guitars had the same and that made it a lot closer to your mix. I played with the center band in each. Sweet! Big Grin Thanks a million!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Official Band's Thread: MUSIC & GEAR VIDEO! Q&A, detailed information etc. - by bitrate27 - 20-09-2016, 09:30 PM