Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forkupines - Semantics (M&F)
Hi DDL - I've been listening to a few different versions of this track - I must say, I'm pretty taken with this band - they seem to have a knack for very catchy, yet quite quirky and idiosyncratic tracks... I'm diggin' it!

Your mix seems to have pretty good clarity and separation of the instruments, and the balances seem well handled...

However, the thing that strikes me as a bit peculiar is the overall tonality of the track. It seems very "hi-mid-forward", with lots of snappiness from the drums - and I can hear some low end happening too - but the overall impression is that the "connective tissue" between the sub-bass under around 80hz and the mids around 400-500hz is somewhat "starved". As a result, the prominent high mids (from around 3-7k) tend to be overly dominant and lend the mix a somewhat fatiguing feeling.

I say "connective tissue" because, even though that low mid area is easy to overdo in a mix, if it is absent, the low and high ends of the mix tend to sound "disconnected" from each other - which is the feeling I'm getting here.

I guess, in essence, what I'm missing is that "chesty" thump and punch from the kick and the warmth and bloom of the low mids in the bass. Possibly some work with a spectrum analyser and some reference material may be helpful in dialing in the low end response better.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases

Messages In This Thread
Forkupines - Semantics (M&F) - by Digitaldruglord - 19-01-2016, 02:25 AM
RE: Forkupines - Semantics (M&F) - by azwayne - 19-01-2016, 05:44 AM
RE: Forkupines - Semantics (M&F) - by FytaKyte - 22-03-2016, 02:37 PM
RE: Forkupines - Semantics (M&F) - by Shul - 10-04-2016, 01:07 AM
RE: Forkupines - Semantics (M&F) - by Shul - 10-04-2016, 01:08 AM
RE: Forkupines - Semantics (M&F) - by Shul - 10-04-2016, 01:24 AM