Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist)
(09-03-2016, 12:31 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Here is my objective opinion....

thanks

Quote:The delays need work however, they are very present in the mix and are distracting from the actual main vocals and don't really add very much to the mix as a whole.

they were to me too. at the time i reworked it, i took out a layer of delays and tweaked what was left. the mod' felt much better to me. the up-front nature of the delays was a personal artistic decision. it gets subjective, eh?

Quote:The audio watermark at the very beginning is completely unnecessary

to you, but not to me. but thanks anyway.

i put it on all my forum mixes. if it disturbs you, then don't listen Wink

Quote:not great for something that will be commercially released (since this was the other point you brought up in your comment).

agreed, but in a commercial mix i obviously wouldn't put it in. Big Grin

Quote:The guitar during the outro gets lost behind the bass and overally the reverb, while a nice touch, can be overbearing.

when the bass guitar plays, the lead guitar doesn't....so it might sound like it's masking but it isn't. plays fine over my gear and with my ears. but thanks anyway. the reverb was a creative decision....to suit the mood and ambiance as per my vision of the concept/mix. i can imagine some might find it overbearing....but others not. but it doesn't matter here, i'm not trying to please anyone but myself. Wink

Quote:A very short (30 ms) ping pong delay or a stereo reverb with a shorter decay would help out as the mono reverb on the guitar really intrudes on the space that the guitar is taking up.

that's an idea, but this was my vision.

Quote:For the vocal delay, try using less feedback and lowering the level of them overall in the mix.

there's about a million things one could do...but this was my vision.

your vision will be different, but being different doesn't make it a problem, of course.

Quote:The weak point is the use of effects, the "trippy" feeling of the mix comes across as forced and detracts from the other good elements of the mix.

now you've gone subjective. this was already mentioned by Patrick...but like i said, this was my vision, not his. this was what i wanted, so judging it on your own criteria (or his) is dodgy ground. i'm not working to anyone's brief here, only my own. it's important you understand the freedom of the forum. to mix without constraints.

i wanted to take a fresh approach to mixing this, adding a new vibe and dynamic to the material. mission accomplished.....except for the points which worked better for me in the remix, which i didn't post. perhaps it's just as well.

many people in the forum do what i call vanilla mixes. they simply take all the materials present, and mix. that's not a problem, but personally i want to push my own creative boundaries and explore without being judged. people giving their subjective opinions is a judgement...it's a superior thing. as if their tastes, likes and dislikes are the right ones and they are trying to impose their views upon you/us. i might not like the red bits in tooty-fruity ice cream, but it doesn't mean that what the ice-cream manufacturer is doing is wrong or should be fixed. OK?
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by ptalbot - 13-03-2015, 06:34 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by takka360 - 13-03-2015, 06:51 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by ptalbot - 15-03-2015, 04:08 AM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by ptalbot - 26-05-2015, 04:21 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by dcp10200 - 29-02-2016, 08:01 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by dcp10200 - 09-03-2016, 12:31 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by The_Metallurgist - 09-03-2016, 04:39 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by dcp10200 - 09-03-2016, 05:07 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by dcp10200 - 09-03-2016, 07:00 PM