Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist)
(29-02-2016, 04:17 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: It seems to me the ability to do all kinds of crazy things to someone's raw tracks is an easy thing to do.

it isn't...the minute anything is added in the mix, it's extra frequencies and balances which need managing. there's questions of compression, like which compressor to use and which parameters to select....to considerations like depth and placement and which reverbs to apply to the additions to achieve those aspects and how those additional reverbs will interact with what is already there.

that's art. it's also science.

i expect people in the forum who wish to contribute to my threads, to discuss those points....the OBJECTIVE assessments of the effectiveness of those technical aspects.

Quote:Making those things work within the context of the song is more of an art form.

...and is therefore subjective, based on PERSONAL TASTES and the individuals own Terms of Reference i.e. what music they listen to, by genre, what instruments and kind of music they play, and even the quality of their audio gear and listening environment.

Quote:I would never confuse technical acumen with an art form, or vice-versa. As an art form, I feel this mix fails badly,

"I feel..." is a subjective assessment.....it's a personal opinion. it has nothing to do with this forum's goal...which is to get people mixing better today than they were mixing yesterday. so, some OBJECTIVE mix assessments need to be forthcoming otherwise you're wasting time....and indeed come across as being a troll....and i'm beginning to feel also that you are spamming me, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

ultimately, it's not what i think a mix should sound like artistically or technically, BUT IT'S ABOUT WHAT THE ARTIST WANTS. I'm not interested in satisfying Patrick's needs here, or any other artisit's desires because that's again a subjective criteria. at the end of the day...if an artist want's XYZ in a commercial scenario, then we have to be technically competent to deliver the BRIEF.

i post here because i have the FREEDOM of working away from the CONSTRAINTS AN ARTIST WILL IMPOSE IN THE STUDIO...THE BRIEF, and the varied qualities and attributes of those raw materials is to my advantage. i exploit that without constraints. i can express my own needs and wishes without subjective opinion being forced upon me.

so, if i want to add a specific type of delay in a song, it's because i want some practise at that creative approach, not to satisfy your tastes. if you have difficulties with this, then why are you bothering to listen to my mixes...and why are you bothering to post in my threads?

if my mixer's impartiality suggests a creative approach, and the artist feels they would like to go with it....or even take the idea and develop it further, that's Art, art is creativity....its synergy. i feel that having the technical competence to achieve those things is an essential prerequisite of being a more useful servant to the artist - it's my key Product Differentiation. I'm here to develop technical competence, not to meet people's "subjective needs" like your own.

i admire Patrick's lack of impartiality in this forum and he promotes intelligent discussion. i wish there were a lot more people as open and willing as he.

Quote:Improving on or making a track 'sound' better is truly one of the most subjective things in the human experience.

so what's your point..and importantly, what does it OBJECTIVELY contribute to my thread and my mix?

Quote: I enjoy the technical aspects of this mix

that's SUBJECTIVE again. personal feelings, views, opinions. i'm glad you enjoyed them, however, but it doesn't help me one bit to reflect on the technical aspects. and it doesn't contribute anything of value or worth to this community/forum.

Quote:but the song is lost because of it. And to me, it is all about the song.

subjective.

come on mate, help me by being OBJECTIVE, not subjective. you aren't helping, and you certainly aren't helping the rest of the community here who might be reading the post and are also interested in objectivity.

NB: capitals in this post are not shouts but emphasis.

if you are unable to offer objective discussion, may i kindly ask you to refrain from posting further in any of my threads?
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by ptalbot - 13-03-2015, 06:34 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by takka360 - 13-03-2015, 06:51 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by ptalbot - 15-03-2015, 04:08 AM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by ptalbot - 26-05-2015, 04:21 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by dcp10200 - 29-02-2016, 08:01 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by dcp10200 - 09-03-2016, 12:31 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by dcp10200 - 09-03-2016, 05:07 PM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by The_Metallurgist - 09-03-2016, 11:30 AM
RE: Patrick T - Blue (Metallurgist) - by dcp10200 - 09-03-2016, 07:00 PM