Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's Words--RidcullyLives Mix
(25-01-2016, 02:58 AM)Shul Wrote: Checking your mix out and a few things to point out

-The drums are too far back. Turn them up because they drive this song through the whole track.
-The guitars sound great! I like the EQ, creamy and they sound comfortable to the ear.
-The bass might have unwanted lows if you turn the drums up. (I used a shelf on the low around 100hz you might consider that so the kick and bass don't fight for a place)
-I see what you mean with the voice on delays and reverb. Personally I think the delays are a bit too loud and is somewhat distracting on certain phrases.. but that's just a matter of taste, so I LIKE WHAT YOU DID THERE Smile

P.S. on my mix I replaced snare and toms with samples. A completely isolated tom sound worked better for me to get the results I wanted in my version. Is not necessary and some consider it cheating but as long as it sounds good it's always okay. I personally don't care... if the tones on drums are making my mix horrible I will replace them no matter what.

Overall you got a decent mix! is just the drums that I found not in place well. Smile)

Thanks man! I was hoping the drums weren't too far back--they're that way because I had to bounce down to a drums stem at a certain point to save CPU when I had a really good drum sound. Unfortunately, for some reason the bounce was oddly quiet and I couldn't get any punch. I was honestly too lazy to go back and grab the original tracks and fix the levels again...Rolleyes...but I think I have to, don't I? Oy.

I was actually pretty happy with the bass/kick balance when it was a bit louder...had a resonant high pass filter on the bass around 100-150, so there was a bit of a boost there but the sub-100 stuff was for the kick drum. I also replaced the snare with a sample, but somehow it got fucked up in the bounce down. I also tend not to like to do sample replacement, but considering they only supplied a kick mic trigger track I don't feel too bad, lol.

P.S. Thanks on the guitars! I used this guy on the power chord guitars (http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/product.php?id=104) to give them a bit more bite, then put them through an 1176 plug with slow attack. I had a really light sidechained compressor to the kick to give it that wall of guitars pumping feeling, and a bandpassed EQ that basically cut out everything below 150 or above 10k. At the last minute I realized the whole mix was a bit hard to listen to, so I did a really subtle and broad dip of a few dB around 2k on the guitar buss to get rid of that toothpicks-in the-eardrums-feeling. I also played around with automating the panning out wider for the choruses and closer in for the verses, and changing the volume around between the various parts.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devil's Words--RidcullyLives Mix - by Shul - 25-01-2016, 02:58 AM
RE: Devil's Words--RidcullyLives Mix - by ridcullylives - 25-01-2016, 04:53 AM