Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
WHYDTM
(22-01-2016, 08:16 AM)Ohbeejuan Wrote: Nice. Your mix is tight and flows together really well. I feel like the drums could use more room reverb and I'd probably take everything at the end and run it through a single reverb just to cement everything together a bit better. Other that that it sounds good.

Mr. Kanohbee,
Thanks for your thoughts. I used very little effects within this song, saving them only for the lead vocals, the background vocals and one guitar line. I felt the drums had plenty of room character already without the addition of more. The drums were hardly touched for content. I tried several approaches to the drums and after all of it I found that leaving them mostly untouched worked best especially considering their subjugation and support to the the very thick guitars parts and vocals. I have in the past used an inserted room for an over-all mix and may revisit that here, maybe with the drum buss and/or the instrument buss or the entire mix. It may result in some interesting space.

There is a lot you could do with the instruments in this song. Listening to other mixes in the thread finds some very unique approaches, all of which have merit. I get the feeling a lot of replacement parts were substituted for the drums in many mixes considering the wide range of treatments. I wondered how mixers were getting such divergent drum sounds from some pretty raw recordings with tons of bleed in every mic. This bleed I used as ambiance for the drums without a need to add more or to manipulate the drums so drastically as to change their content entirely. That seemed to me to be counter to the character of the song and the intent of the artist. Considering I have no idea what the intent of the artist would be, I used what was presented as faithfully as possible to create my musical interpretation.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
WHYDTM - by Mixinthecloud - 22-01-2016, 08:08 AM
RE: WHYDTM - by Ohbeejuan - 22-01-2016, 08:16 AM
RE: WHYDTM - by Mixinthecloud - 22-01-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: WHYDTM - by Shul - 06-02-2016, 08:21 AM
RE: WHYDTM - by andrew0v - 16-03-2016, 12:18 AM
RE: WHYDTM - by Mixinthecloud - 16-03-2016, 04:08 AM
RE: WHYDTM - by Mandubien - 24-05-2016, 05:43 PM
RE: WHYDTM - by Mixinthecloud - 26-05-2016, 02:19 AM
RE: WHYDTM Redux - by Mixinthecloud - 16-10-2016, 01:58 AM