Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
My go on Dead Enemies
Hey Peter,

Dead Enemies is not the best song to start with. There are a lot of things you need to take care of beside mixing the song itself -and your mix is a clear sign that you should focus on the basics first. My advice would be:

- Give Burning Bridges a try. It´s a lot easier to mix then Dead Enemies
- Read the FAQ I wrote. And if you'Re thinking of mixing BB: Read the FAQ first, grab some reference tracks from killswitch, load them into your project and constantly check if you are on the right track.
- Don't eq and compress EVERY track.
- Do you really have to eq the guitars? Or are you just trying to eq them with the sound YOU like - which is bad. The guitars sound hollow, thin and outright awful. PLEASE DO NOT follow any kind of mixing guide that tells you to cut 5db mids around 1khz, add a 8db high shelf or some other shitty tips. Use your ears - and a reference track. Without eq the guitar tracks sound a lot like Killswitch Engage and have a lot of mid energy. Together with the bass they are the fundament of the original mix - everything else was build around them.
- The whole mix sounds overly squashed, bright and distorted. Do you really think that this is a powerfull and exciting mix? The only thing you need to check your mix is to compare it with the original mix and reference tracks from Killswitch. I bet there is NO reference track in your project and you never a/b'ed your mix with a commercial mix.

I´ve allready written it a thousand times: Don't eq and compress a track just because they are there. Chances are that most of the tracks of Dead Enemies don't need more then a hicut/lowcut and volume automation to make them sit in the mix

Messages In This Thread
My go on Dead Enemies - by PeterEkberg - 19-06-2015, 01:00 PM
RE: My go on Dead Enemies - by Blitzzz - 27-06-2015, 08:34 PM
RE: My go on Dead Enemies - by PeterEkberg - 28-06-2015, 10:08 AM
RE: My go on Dead Enemies - by Blitzzz - 28-06-2015, 03:47 PM