Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heartbeats - Matt's mix
it sounds to me like you've gone too far the other way now and the spectral balance seems unsettled to me. also, flicking to mono causes the tone to change, which suggests some stereo vs mono spectral issues. in addition to this, the low-mids are overly congested. in stereo you'd miss this opportunity for EQ which suggests to me that you've tried panning your way out of the masking issues? risky. if a mix works well in mono, it will sound much better in stereo than a mix solely worked entirely in the stereo domain because it forces accurate EQ'ing and clears the spectrum of bloat. it's an easy temptation to mix your way out of apparent trouble when sitting in the sweet spot....but not many peeps listen in the sweet, so they hear the cumulative effects of both speakers....kind of mono more than stereo in fact.

it is a common solution to add treble when the low-mids are congested because it appears to balance the song's spectrum and provide an overall timbre which seems at first hand to be appealing. however, the solution invariably lies in managing the low-mids, which automatically means the trebles will tend to fall into line more easily. as they say, cut rather than boost. so, while the problem might appear to be in the trebles...it's not necessarily where the problem needs to be approached. i'd recommend looking carefully at the congestion in the low mids, then seeing how the treble fits into the new environment, and then tune the trebles accordingly?

why not use this project for a longer work-in-progress so you can drop in when you've got a spare half an hour or so to fiddle, but work on less dense mixes if you've got a useful block of time to kill and have the chance to get to your vision within the time frame? this is a super song to work for the long haul because it reduces the risk of boredom! if i wasn't messing around with Heart Peripheral, i'd have a crack at this one. it's VERY tempting, though, i must say!
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Heartbeats - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 08-06-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: Heartbeats - Matt's mix - by The_Metallurgist - 12-06-2015, 12:22 PM
RE: Heartbeats - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 12-06-2015, 12:34 PM
RE: Heartbeats - Matt's mix - by The_Metallurgist - 12-06-2015, 03:02 PM
RE: Heartbeats - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 12-06-2015, 10:25 PM
RE: Heartbeats - Matt's mix - by The_Metallurgist - 13-06-2015, 11:13 AM
RE: Heartbeats - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 13-06-2015, 02:29 PM