Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spektakulatius: Wayfaring Stranger
Disclaimer: I respect your opinion wholeheartedly, and respectfully disagree. For the benefit of discussion, I'll attempt to explain why. Please don't infer a combative tone.

You've in the past suggested I overthink mixing, and I agree, but this seems like a very overthought thing to get hung up on.

I dunno if "correct" stereo spread creates a very convincing illusion of space anyway, though. I can't discern a neatly organized stereo spread on a live drum kit, even if I'm up fairly close, because sound doesn't present itself neatly from left to right. There's no stereo field outside the DAW...

I'm not really trying to argue... But if you read Mike's notes on the recording session, you'll find he recorded the kit from drummers perspective as an intentional artistic decision. I'd be hard pressed to call that wrong, and I'm unconvinced most people, lacking your extensive background in production, would notice or care... Especially considering the kit is rather understated compared to the vocal and sax, which I imagine would occupy the full attention of most listeners.

I realize the audiophile crowd often has a certain set of expectations, but projecting that minority view onto everyone else doesn't make it right or wrong?

Just my opinion, obviously... Anyone is welcome to their own of course. Btw, Carter sets his kit up with the ride cymbal and crash "incorrectly" due to the needs of his particular performance style.... But it's shown up in both orientations on various records that have enjoyed widespread popularity for over 20 years... What's "wrong" with that? After all, we're mixing for the audience and not for ourselves.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spektakulatius: Wayfaring Stranger - by pauli - 27-05-2015, 10:30 PM
RE: Spektakulatius: Wayfaring Stranger - by pauli - 28-05-2015, 12:25 PM