Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
WWMBD: What would Michael Brauer do?
Pauli, thanks for the link to Michael Brauer's multiple-mix buss theory, I've read a couple of articles now and I like the idea. I guess it boils down to the fact that if you have just one mix buss compressor, every time you tweak your mix it's going to affect how the compressor is responding to other things - so he's simply dividing the load up between multiple compressors and summing them. Which isn't really that controversial, is it? I've kind of done the same myself by grouping vocals and compressing them, doing the same with guitars, drums, etc. Anyway, always good to try new things.

Re your mix, it sounded pretty good to me, though this is not a style of music I have much familiarity with. Kick and snare are punchy, though hi-hat and cymbals sounded a bit weighted towards 4-6kHz with not so much real high "air". Could you try cutting some high-mid harshness and adding a little bit of excitation to add some high-end sparkle?

I'd also agree with Don about the bottom end, you need more bottom octave growl on the bass and maybe some more weight on the kick to balance the nice click you've got on it.

One other point to the poster above, the idea that "talent... the gift at birth.... genetic inheritance" determines success in any field is a total myth. It has (almost) no bearing at all on any kind of learning outcome versus persistence, effort and practice. If that sounds completely implausible, which it does to many people who aren't aware of educational psychology, I encourage you to read Carol Dweck's book Mindset: How you can fulfil your potential. Speaking of which, I should probably get back to the essay I'm meant to be writing about her work at the moment Smile

Messages In This Thread
WWMBD: What would Michael Brauer do? - by pauli - 17-05-2015, 04:22 AM
RE: WWMBD: What would Michael Brauer do? - by londonmatt - 21-05-2015, 01:15 PM