Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambitions
Hey,
I mixed and mastered this song.
I let the bass pass really through. (I even used an extra overdistorted bass track to mix with the other two!)
That's why I ask someone of you other great (Not that I consider myself great. Smile ) mixers out there to comment.
When I wacthed my spectrum analyzer I could see the bass popping a little out but that was my intention, I really love the bass, I didn't even edited or automated it while some say this is not the best I like it! (I always need to do different. Rolleyes )

PANNING
Hi-hat: center, kick drum: 16L, overhead left: 100L, overhead right: 100R, ride: center, snare bottom and top: 16R, first two toms: center, 3th:29L and 4th:29R, drum room: center, all bass tracks: center, guitar1: 49L, guitar2: 100L, guitar3: 49R, guitar4: 100R and both two vocal tracks: 16L

MIXING
I routed all the drum tracks to one buss. (Here I need some beginner help, when I route tracks to another track they still play on their own but how do you make sure that when you route them they only go to that specific buss and not also to the master? I put the master send off tough.)
I also E.Q.-ed all tracks seperatly + the drum buss.
I also tried parallell compression for the first time by duplicating the drum buss (Actually I send the drum buss to that track.) and kind of overcompressing that track so when I mix it slightly in with the drums I still have a pumping drum sound without losing all dynamics. (That is parallell compression I hope.)
I compressed the tom tracks because I wanted them to cut through the mix a little more and I also reverbed them. (That are the only tracks I 'reverbed'.)
The bass tracks I E.Q.-ed and compressed to make them tight and punchy. (The way I kinda like bass.)
E.Q. on the guitars to make their mids shine. Wink
Lots of E.Q., some compression and a slight delay on the vocals. (I didn't try to overdo it this time, in my last mix the delay was to hard I suppose.)
The second vocal track (So ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!) I E.Q.-ed, compressed and I used a chorus effect to create more like a chorus of men rather than one guy screaming (Like the name 'chorus' says. Smile )

MASTERING
E.Q.-ed some sub-bass out and unnecessary high's.
Multi-band compression (three band) to make glew the song a bit and to compress the higher frequency's some more. (In my mix the cymbals and stuff where a little to much over the place, I think.)
A stereo-expander, not to heavely, just to make it a LITTLE wider and clearer and because I somehow love it.
A reverb (!!) and I am not sad I did it.
It's because of the reverb you sometimes here some noise but I kind of like it, it adds something to the song.
It also helps make the vocals in my opinion a little bit clearer.
A limiter to make it louder and prevent from clipping by making it louder, +5,2 gain and the treshold at 0,2 .(Where mixing harder music here, here are dynamics a little less important than like classic music for example.)

Sorry for the long text but I want to tell you my whole mixing/mastering process. Smile

.mp3    AmbitionsMASTER1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.89 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Ambitions - by kjell159 - 24-03-2013, 11:20 PM
RE: Ambitions - by Mike Senior - 25-03-2013, 08:05 AM
RE: Ambitions - by Dags - 25-03-2013, 10:45 AM
RE: Ambitions - by kjell159 - 26-03-2013, 10:12 PM
RE: Ambitions - by kjell159 - 27-03-2013, 09:07 PM
RE: Ambitions - by Dags - 27-03-2013, 11:45 PM
RE: Ambitions - by kjell159 - 28-03-2013, 03:26 PM
RE: Ambitions - by kjell159 - 28-03-2013, 04:18 PM
RE: Ambitions - by Dags - 29-03-2013, 11:47 AM
RE: Ambitions - by kjell159 - 29-03-2013, 08:03 PM