Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H
(16-12-2014, 10:19 AM)gopener Wrote: When i heard your mix i immediately start to feel weird, it may be that, as many of the versions here , give too much attention on the drums and forgot the piano
(clearly a piano driven song), or maybe that you try to fit everything there and don't try to find what is important and get rid of the ''busy'' tracks.

Thanks for listening. I'm sure you're just right with your comments about my mix. For some reason I have a personal dislike of piano (unless it is played by Jerry Lee Lewis), so it easily happens to me that piano doesn’t get the right place in my mixes.

(16-12-2014, 10:19 AM)gopener Wrote: At that point i will like to say that i gave my truthful suggestions there and i find pretty disturbing when someone write to anyone that his mix is great, we are faaaaaar from greatness anyone here
some more than others, but the point is to grow and learn in every mix and not to boost our ego,

Actually you also brought up a very important topic. ”Good ”or ”great” compared to what standard?

The highest building in my town is probably 200 meters lower than the average in New York. But from that point of view if I show my town to turists, should I speak only with terms ”low, very low and extremely low building”? No! It would be quite difficult to use language that way. In natural language the words get their meaning from the natural context.

But do we have any meaning context in this forum. I would say no, again. At least I’m very quilty of using the same word ”great” with many meanings without specifying. Sometimes it’s ”compared to one’s previous mix”, sometimes ”compared to others’ mixes of the same song” or ”compared to your typical mixes that I’ve heard before”. And most of the time ”compared to nothing else, but as I happened to like it in this very moment I use word great”.

But, to make it more difficult, for example I cannot never use it as ”great when compared to professional standard”, as I’m not in position to make that kind of evaluations. If I were cabable of doing that good mixes, then I might be able to use it with that meaning.

As this is mainly a student and hobbyist forum I would guess that no-one who has made over 100 postings and is still active is not currently an audio professional. I guess we don’t have any other choice that each and every member must use word ”great” with different more or less meanings. Personnally I’m happy to hear honest and subjective comments from any member, no matter what his/her mixing experience level is. And when it comes to more detailed technical comments, I genrally tend to read more carefully those comments that are written by a member whose mixes I genrally like. You clearly belong to that category.

Messages In This Thread
RE: We'll Talk About It All Tonight - Olli H - by Olli H - 16-12-2014, 12:21 PM