Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir
My first reaction was "What a beautiful sound that is!". And then the piano came in and I thought, "What a beautiful sound that is too!" Smile

However, then the bass and drums came in and I had a couple of reservations. The first thing is that the pedal hat sounds rather spitty and without the meaty worthiness that the other instruments have exhibited. (Ooh! Just reached the violin solo -- fabulous! Back to what I was saying...) The bass, on the other hand, feels like it's out of control in the low register. It's really resonant in a way that sounds bloated to me. I took out about 5dB at 65Hz before the bass seemed balanced within itself to me, and then it was too low by comparison to the rest of the arrangement. And could the violin be a touch less present? I wonder whether it gets just a fraction too scratchy/piercing in the higher registers.

What a pleasant listen. I'm assuming that there's some subtle effects stuff going on to blend things so well and give such a nice sense of depth, but given that I can't really hear it I can only say that you've done it perfectly. Smile It reminds me of that Norah Jones record... Mmmm...

Quote:If you think that my mix sounds better than yours and you want to know how I did it. All you have to do is ask. Heck, I´ll send you the whole session file if that helps you become a better mixer.

I'll take you up on that offer -- you've got such a nice sound going there that I'd be interested to know what was going on behind the scenes. I could even host it on my server for anyone else who wanted a gander. Just let me know if the offer still stands! Smile

(PS. In general, I also wanted to say 'thanks' for your continuing contributions here -- you're really helping to make this a great educational resource!)

Messages In This Thread
Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir - by Jamolir - 17-01-2013, 06:08 AM
RE: Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir - by Lammy - 18-01-2013, 11:21 AM
RE: Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir - by Jamolir - 18-01-2013, 11:56 AM
RE: Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir - by Mike Senior - 19-02-2013, 12:14 PM
RE: Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir - by uzilevi - 17-02-2013, 09:26 PM
RE: Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir - by Jamolir - 19-02-2013, 01:57 PM
RE: Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir - by Jamolir - 05-03-2013, 11:01 AM
RE: Java Session - Song 1 - Jamolir - by Jamolir - 06-03-2013, 09:56 AM