Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
The Metallurgist's Semantics
I think if I were listening to the radio one day and heard a song you mixed, I would know right away. There is a very distinctive character to your mixes, and I enjoy the way you used reverbs and delays as instruments in their own right. In this case, some of the reverbs sounds a little bit washy in the context of the mix, and maybe could come down a teeny bit. However, unless I'm not hearing it right, it sounds like you're using very long pre-delays on most of the really diffuse reverbs and I love that sound, sort of like a dark, very roomy club.

Don't think there's much I can say about the creative processing because it very clearly speaks for itself. I like how it sets the song apart from most examples within the genre, and it's very clearly well controlled and executed with intention, which is top praise in my book.

For my personal taste, the bass guitar could be just a teeny bit stronger in the bass frequencies, though it has a very nice bite in the attack and it's certainly getting along with the kick drum and floor toms. I'm not sure why, but the snare drum hits sound a little bit more like a "splat" than a "crack," almost like there's some flamming, which is most likely related to the room mic issue you mentioned (I haven't heard the raw tracks, so my observation there may be useless.) And some of the distorted guitars sound like they could be a small amount fuller in the low mids.

Any sort of mastering you've done here is very transparent, I'm jealous, and I demand an explanation Big Grin

As always, great work and top respect for the close attention to detail. This is a very refreshingly different mix of what could otherwise have been a very cookie cutter example of the genre.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by Olli H - 19-06-2014, 03:55 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by Voelund - 19-06-2014, 04:46 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by pauli - 30-06-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by pauli - 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by Blitzzz - 07-07-2014, 11:58 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by Blitzzz - 09-07-2014, 12:55 AM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by bmullen - 08-07-2014, 08:40 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by pauli - 08-07-2014, 08:56 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by zstojkov - 07-08-2014, 12:29 PM