Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daisy, Daisy - a Snow Day Mix
Thanks!!
Some great ideas!! I do use 'opposite EQ' to carve out space for different instruments, and have used it once or twice in the manner you have outlined. I haven't thought to use it regularly though, and you snapped me back to that way of thinking with your reminder -- so thanks again!! When I get a chance I'll try and give some of your mixes a listen.

(21-05-2014, 06:42 PM)djfunkymatt Wrote: When you have two guitars with the same tone playing the same part, you will probably have phase cancellation and frequency masking. Panning the parts seems to make it sound better because the competing parts each have their own speaker, but there is a way to make them sound good in stereo and mono while keeping their place in the mix.

I call it opposite EQ. Place a multiband EQ on both guitars. On the first guitar, boost the gain on a mid-range band by 4-6 dB, narrow the Q and sweep the frequency around until you find a spot that sounds cool. Bring the boost down to 2-3 dB and take note of the frequency you chose. Now pull up the EQ on the OTHER guitar. Place a band at the same frequency with the same Q, but CUT the gain by 2-3 dB. This gives the guitar it's own place in the spectrum.

I do this twice per guitar so that each one has a boost area and a cut area. Usually one is "throaty" boosting around 400 hz, the other is "bitey" boosted around 2khz, and they each cut where the other is boosting.

Also, make sure you are hi-pass filtering everything except bass and kick drum. You will get a lot of clarity just doing that. Keep mixing in mono, it is a great way to solve any phase problems before you start panning. Smile

Messages In This Thread
Daisy, Daisy - a Snow Day Mix - by lowstring - 14-02-2014, 03:24 AM
RE: Daisy, Daisy - a Snow Day Mix - by thedon - 14-02-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Daisy, Daisy - a Snow Day Mix - by lowstring - 14-02-2014, 06:53 PM
RE: Daisy, Daisy - a Snow Day Mix - by lowstring - 14-06-2014, 05:21 PM
RE: Daisy, Daisy - a Snow Day Mix - by lowstring - 14-06-2014, 05:24 PM