Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: James May - Don't Let Go
(06-05-2014, 11:54 AM)Olli H Wrote: Some totally minor things came to my mind:
- Thing that bothers me is the reverb with acoustic guitar in some places when the player slaps the string. For example 0.33.
- Also that slap sound is quite metallic. Well, I know it's very metallic also in reality, but when that hit comes thorugh otherwise pleasant and warm sound it feels little distracting to me in this song.

One thing that is totally personal preference and nothing to do with quality: I would prefer slightly less reverb with vocals. I think it would suit better the conversational feeling and message of this song.

OK. In this version I backed off the reverb on the guitars and the vocals slightly and completely revamped the EQ on the guitar. I was going for a brighter guitar sound (which I prefer when there's a bass in the mix, especially one with so much body and warmth as this one) but maybe the original EQ boosted the highs a little too much. Blush The EQ here still boosts the highs but not nearly so much; it's much more subtle.

(06-05-2014, 11:54 AM)Olli H Wrote: But why only one reverb? I think with couple of reverbs one could create better spatial image.

Well, I was going for a unified feel, as if James May and the musicians were all on one stage together and the reverb was the natural acoustics of that auditorium. I figured using a single reverb as a send effect on all tracks would be the best approach. I did tweak the amount each track sent to the reverb but they's all using the same effect.

That part I left alone; the sound was exactly what I was going for. Smile

So what do you think now?

.m4a    Don\'t Let GoA 1.m4a --  (Download: 9.37 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pedaling Prince Mix: James May - Don't Let Go - by Pedaling Prince - 07-05-2014, 02:34 AM